Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Linko and Mommy's California Trip

     For no particular reason I decided Lincoln and I needed a trip to California to go visit Papi and Gigi. We soon came up with many reasons why this trip was necessary. A $150 roundtrip flight for me and Lincoln on my lap, it happened to fall over Mother's Day, and my parents moving from Tehachapi to Utah making this a "last time to reminisce my hometown" experience. 

     I was stressed about both flights and keeping Lincoln close and not losing him somewhere on the plane. He is fast and busy. He was great waiting in the terminal while we waited for an hour and a half to board. Finally in our seats we had to make it through an hour and half flight. It turned out to be only about one hour of actual airtime, which was really doable. I may have come out a little out of breath and frazzled from wrangling Lincoln for that hour, but I made sure to profusely apologize to the man that unluckily decided to sit in our row. He was nice enough about it and tried to relate with me about his niece or something. Anyway, we finally made it to home sweet California home and immediately drove to Santa Monica to make sure the ocean is still there. It is. I loved the ocean breeze.  

Waiting in the terminal



On the plane floor


Santa Monica was beautiful and it was perfect weather. Third Street Promenade was longer than I remembered and the street performers were just like I remembered. I love the atmosphere and culture. Dad told us stories of when he worked at an architecture firm right down the street and had people like the Beastie Boys and Kenny G hand him promo CDs before they made it big time. He threw their promo CD's away. If only he knew they were going to be famous and those promos are probably worth a lot now...haha





Lincoln finally gave in and passed out while we were walking around. I can probably count on my hand how many times he has fallen asleep in all the hustle and bustle. He is a busy boy!

After Lincoln woke up he joined us for some good food! Apparently he really likes Buca Di Beppo's. Here he is literally licking the plate. 

 





Santa Monica and seeing the ocean was awesome! Lincoln loved it. I loved it. We even got rapped to about Lincoln from "Seattle" I guess Utah sounds something like Seattle.... Lenny Hoops our personal rapper.


     Later in the trip we made our way to Bakersfield to once again reminisce. We stopped by the Murray Family Farms and pet the goats while Lincoln squealed. He was not sure to be excited or scared all at the same time. Then we stopped by the Institute building where I spent many days in between classes while going to Bakersfield College.


Institue Building

We happened to catch Brother Williams before he left in two weeks to teach at another institute in Wyoming. He made a big difference for our institute and is one of my favorite gospel instructors. Perfect example of being able to have fun and feel the spirit.



This is the park across the street from the institute building. 

     On another day we stopped by the Cesar Chavez memorial building and gardens. We met his granddaughter and randomly snapped a picture of his son. We figured we had never gone to the memorial and it was worth seeing and learning about.



     My Dad has a motorcycle which has caused some family safety controversy but he's happy and everyone has come to terms with it. He took me for a ride and it was pretty cool. I decided I am just not a bike person cause I enjoy relaxing and there is no sleeping on the back of a motorcycle. I wasn't too fond of the bugs smacking into me either. It was a cool experience I can now check off the bucket list.


Lincoln and Gigi got a lot of quality time together and he was loving all the attention. He sure got spoiled. She actually managed to get him to cuddle and sit still which is a feat I have not even accomplish unless it is 2 in the morning and Lincoln wants a sleeping buddy. Daytime cuddles are few and far in between. 

Before we went over to the Cesar Chavez Memorial we ate at the Keene Cafe which, for an uninhabitable looking place that came with top reviews and referrals, certainly did not disappoint.

Keegan came to visit me! I miss playing games and hanging out with Keegan. It was so fun just sitting around chatting.

Lincoln was a little tired of all our traveling that was forcing him to sit still in his car seat which is his least favorite activity.

Lincoln loves Papi. He was very good sitting on Papi's lap during sacrament meeting. Usually he is running in and out of the meeting or up and down the aisle jabbering at people. Not usually with them just at them. 

     I think I'm going to miss the backyard of the Lakeview house the most. I love the fountain, fire pit, and the rocking chairs. We saw all kinds of birds, lizards, deer, etc. Lincoln's favorite part was playing inside the fountain. We had to keep getting him before he climbed up the fountain. I am amazed he hasn't needed stitches or broke something yet.






Lincoln and I tried to go on some walks with Gigi and Tami but we got too tired so we decided it was time to just sit at the Lake and hang out with the ducks. Sitting is a lot less of a work out.

     Our trip to California would not be complete without eating at Carlos' Donuts. He is simply the best donut maker I have ever encountered. Lincoln loved his sprinkle donut which is my favorite. I miss Carlos and his amazing donuts. No one has ever made a donut as good as Carlo's.


No comments:

Kiersten and Sheehan's Wedding Day! March 21st, 2009